opening balance of negative account

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Thu Aug 19 06:04:05 EDT 2004

On Thursday 19 Aug 2004 08:47, Dino Vliet wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> in the netherlands some banks are giving their
> customers the ability to take more money from their
> checkings account till a certain limit say 500 euro's.
>
> How can I record this fact when using gnucash the
> first time if I owe the bank say 300 euro's?
> Do I have to use negative signs when setting the
> opening balance for this account? So -300?
>
> Thanks in advance

Hi Dino,

That is correct, the opening balance of that account is €-300.00.
Just use a negative number in the account creation dialogue box, or if you
have already created the account, then put the first transaction in as a
"withdrawal" from the current account, transfer to equity:opening balances

Cheers,
Maf.