Love Gnucash -- A few questions though . .

David Frascone dave at frascone.com
Thu Aug 19 13:14:59 EDT 2004

On Thursday, 19 Aug 2004, Derek Atkins wrote:
> David Frascone <dave at frascone.com> writes:
>
> >> There's a python script that someone wrote to help download OFX files.
> >> I think there's a pointer in the FAQ.  If not, there should be ;)
> >>

> > I looked briefly at this, but it looked like it was for using the direct
> > connect OFX functionality.  Did I misread?  Was the script designed to
> > populate fields in a non-standard screen to download an OFX file?
>
> Yes, this script uses DirectConnect.  Does your bank not support
> DirectConnect?  Does Quicken/Money not support your Bank?

Right.  My bank does *not* support DirectConnect, and Quicken/Money do
*not* support my bank :(

> > My bank uses netteller, which *really* sucks . . .
>
> No clue what that is.
You are lucky.

> > I'll look into python for doing the web grab.
>
> You're welcome to use perl or shell or whatever... I was just pointing
> out this particular script because it does support the vast majority
> of Banks (which support DirectConnect).

I guess my question was more generic, and slightly off-topic:  What's
the easiest scripting language for a complex web query.  A login (form),
with cookies, then a form to select my download type, then a scrape to
grab the url to download.  I've never done a web script that was this
complex before.  And, of course, it's only complex, since my bank does
not support DirectConnect.

-Dave

--
David Frascone

       Let he who takes the plunge remember to return it!