DRIP funds

Thomas Vitolo tjvitolo at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 19 13:11:22 EDT 2004

Using gnucash 1.8.9, and IANAAccountant.

I have some accounts that have DRIP funds.  For example, when working at
Procter & Gamble, I purchased stock through my paycheck, and now I've got an
account where the dividends are reinvested quarterly.  I'd like to keep track
of this, and my intuition is to do it in the following way:

Assets
  Brokerage Accts
    PG_Account (USD)
      PG Stock subaccount (shares stock PG)

For dividends, have the income->dividend put into the PG_Account, whose
currency is USD.  Then, have the PG Stock subaccount transfer USD from the
PG_account, and use it to purchase shares of PG with it.

Will this method:
 * allow me to rectify balances (I'm worried about having both USD and PG in
the checkboxes, resulting in no current subtotal displayed because of differing
units)
 * allow me to generate reports to detail returns on the stock correctly?

Is there a better method?  Thank you for the accounting/gnucash help!

 - Tommy V