Foreign investment problems

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Aug 30 08:52:24 EDT 2004

Hi,

USD isn't a Stock..  If you have a stock, you need to use a commodity
to track that stock.  If you've got USD, then you don't have a stock.

So, which is it?  Are you trying to track a USD account, or a Stock
account?

Note that even a mutual fund "denoted" in USD (like the Vanguard
Treasury MMF) is still a "Fund" with it's own non-USD symbol.  It's
price is always $1, but it's still not USD.

In short: This is not a bug; stock accounts can only track stocks and
funds, not currencies.

For the second problem, the issue is a known bug with the way gnucash
handles "triple" commodities.  I.e. when you're dealing with a foreign
currency and a commodity (plus your locale currency).  There are
certain instances where the code just doesn't "get it right".  What
happens is that you get a transaction between a USD Account and a
FUND:Foo Account but with a common currency of "CAD".

Gnucash then looks for multiple exchange rates and gets it wrong.
This is bug #116353.

The workaround is to manually create your opening balance for these
kinds of situations, and most likely you'll need to enter these
transaction from the currency-side, not the stock-account side, and
use the exchange-rate dialog to set the number of shares.

-derek