Foreign investment problems

Danny Ciarniello Dan_Ciarniello at telus.net
Tue Aug 31 17:23:05 EDT 2004

Aaron Gaudio wrote:

>On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 00:10 -0700, Danny Ciarniello wrote:
>

>>I appreciate the USD isn't a Stock.  Maybe I wasn't entirely clear with
>>the problem.  When I create a new file and use the wizard to create a
>>set of Investment accounts, I get an account tree like:
>>
>>Assets
>>- Investments
>>-- Brokerage Account
>>--- Bond
>>--- Stock
>>--- Market Index
>>--- Mutual Fund
>>
>>plus, of course, the Income and Expense trees.  When I right-click and
>>select Edit Account, the settings for each account are:
>>
>>Assets : Type Asset, Commodity CAD
>>Investments : Type Asset, Commodity CAD
>>Brokerage Account : Type Bank, Commodity CAD
>>Bond : Type Stock, Commodity CAD
>>Stock : Type Stock, Commodity CAD
>>Market Index : Type Mutual Fund, Commodity CAD
>>Mutual Fund : Type Mutual Fund, Commodity CAD
>>

>These settings are wrong. A Stock parent account (to represent a
>brokerage, for example) should be simply of type "Asset" with a currency
>commodity.

Well, this is the way that the GnuCash wizard set things up.  Retirement
accounts are also set up this way.  As a newbie, my assumption is that
if GnuCash sets things up this way, then it must be correct (I admit
that this may not be a valid assumption).

Just for the record, I am using GnuCash 1.8.9 as installed on Linux
Fedora Core 2 using yum (I don't recall which repository).

Your comment implies that all the accounts listed above should be of
type "Asset".  Accounts for actual commodities only will be either of
type "Stock" or "Mutual Fund", as appropriate.

Dan.