The Gnucash database?

blfs at comcast.net blfs at comcast.net
Mon Jul 19 13:58:47 EDT 2004

> "blfs" writes:
>

> > I glanced through the OFX stuff on the net.
> >
> > There must be code out there somewhere that converts
> > text to OFX. I dont know anything about QIF or
> > OFX but they seem like very different applications.
> >
> > OFX is for secure transactions over the net and I would
> > think it would be rather limited. QIF is an out of the box
> > financial program I understand with limited security.
> >
> > It would seem to me that the most natural way to write
> > Gnucash would be to write it for a flat text file in the Unix
> > tradition. If it is not trivial to translate a flat text file to
> > the format required for Gnucash that is a rather serious
> > design flaw. I can certainly load a flat text file into any
> > database I know of with relative ease.
> >
> > I must be missing something here.
>
> You are. Gnucash IS NOT A DATABASE!!!!
>
> Go read the archives.
>
> -derek
>
> --
> Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
> Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board (SIPB)
> warlord at MIT.EDU PGP key available
If you cant query the data easily loaded into the Gnucash program
without using the Gnucash interface that is a problem.  I have installed the
program and read a little about it, but I am really stuck on this point that
it cannot import a plain flat text file.  I dont understand this.

Further, if Gnucash is a financial program it is a database no matter how
you want to define database this type of program has to be one.  It
is impossible to have a financial program that is not a database.