rfc or suggestion--save backups function for gnucash

Jean-David Beyer jdbeyer at exit109.com
Tue Jul 20 17:00:04 EDT 2004

jdebert wrote:

> In the case of my corrupted data files, the kernel had problems with
> "complex" apps like gnucash. Saving in gnucash trashed the files it was
> writing, including backups.

Are you sure it was a kernel problem and not a hardware problem? I ask
because I have not had kernel problems since Red Hat Linux 6.0, and even
those were more of the nature of the X Window System locking up, not file
system corruption.

Furthermore, the kernel does not really have any way to measure, a priori,
the complexity of an application and corrupt the data of only the
"complex" ones.

> The wrapper used the relatively simple "cp", which the kernel seemed to
> have no problem with.
>
> Most "complex" apps were affected by kernel misbehaviour. It just
> happened that gnucash was the first thing used after a kernel update. It
> was the first really bad kernel I'd ever had. Up til then, they were
> sometimes flakey but never so bad as to damage stuff.
>
> The kernel also trashed 3 usb disks later on, wiping out the extra backups.

Really sounds like a hardware problem to me.

--
   .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
   /V\                             Registered Machine   241939.