Writing checks

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 26 01:16:02 EDT 2004

On Jul 25, 2004, at 11:29 PM, blfs wrote:
> IMO, this program needs a checkbook.  A check needs
> a date field

It's in there

> , a number field,

It's in there

>  a memo field

It's in there

> and an amount field,

It's in there

> and a payee field.

It's in there

> The payee field should be related
> to a vendor table if desired.

This one isn't available (yet), except that the history/autofill
function works darn well to complete an entry.

> This is how all these types
> of programs are organized.

Well, as far as I can tell, gnucash is organized very similarly to the
others. There are, of course, differences. But if something really bugs
you, you can fix it yourself...

>  It is also the natural way to
> do this.  This is what we all do when we write a check.

And that's what I do in gnucash. With the exception of the link to a
payee address (and lack of printing payee addresses on checks), you
haven't mentioned one thing that gnucash can't do quite naturally.
Check printing isn't what I'd like it to be. There has been significant
discussion on the developer's list regarding how to revamp check
printing. It will be a while before it gets done -- volunteer effort,
and all that -- but it won't be as long as some improvements to Quicken
take, for example.

> For myself, my personal accounting consists at looking
> at what the ATM tells me when I withdraw money.
>
> In business though I dont see the point of double entry
> accounting without A/R and A/P.

Really?

--
David Reiser