gnucash VERY slow startup

Chris Shenton chris at shenton.org
Thu Mar 4 09:39:51 CST 2004

dewey hylton <gmaneorg at hyltown.com> writes:

> on my laptop, gnucash takes MINUTES to start - minutes pass before the splash
> screen is even displayed.

> gnucash was just rebuilt on the laptop (freebsd) with `portupgrade
> -R gnucash` so that all gnucash dependencies were upgraded as
> well. while gnucash is taking its 3 minutes to startup, running
> `top` shows the guile process taking up ~100% of the cpu. i have
> plenty of ram, nothing is swapping to disk, and

I see the same exact thing here, on FreeBSD-5.1-CURRENT and
5.2-CURRENT, possibly even on older 4.8-STABLE systems. Same thing:
guile consumes 100% cpu for several minutes before the splash comes
up. I see this presently with gnucash-1.8.8 and saw it with earlier
versions too.

> to add insult to injury, the linux gnucash is being run via ssh, X tunneled
> back to laptop. it'd probably be even quicker if i were running from the
> desktop console.

I'm running a 1.8GHz box as a server with a bunch of RAID, headless;
I login to my desktops and either run gnucash via an NFS mount, or ssh
into my server and run it there with X11 displaying back. Same behavior.

I just hooked up a monitor to my headless server and tried gnucash
locally and see the same problem (guile 100% cpu, long delay) so I
don't think it's due to NFS, SSH, or X11.

Linas suggestion to upgrade libc, loader, kernel don't seem like
they'd fix since this OS and kernel were built from CVS less than a
week ago -- and since I've seen this on multiple versions of FreeBSD,
including on my 5.1-CURRENT box I just tried (NFS mount for gnucash binary).

Would a "truss" help for diagnostics? I see it doing a huge amount of
stuff like:

open("/usr/local/lib/libgwrap-glib.la",0x0,0666) ERR#2 'No such file or directory'
open("/lib/libgwrap-glib.la",0x0,0666)           ERR#2 'No such file or directory'
open("/usr/lib/libgwrap-glib.la",0x0,0666)       ERR#2 'No such file or directory'
open("libgwrap-glib.la",0x0,0666)                ERR#2 'No such file or directory'
access("/usr/X11R6/lib/gnucash/libgwrap-glib.so",4) ERR#2 'No such file or directory'
access("/usr/X11R6/lib/libgwrap-glib.so",4)      ERR#2 'No such file or directory'

as if it's looking for a bunch of libraries and is looking all over
the disk to find them.  Any other suggestions to help diagnose?