401K and Employer Contribution Part 2

T. Cabugao tycabugao at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 8 19:18:17 CST 2004

Hello!

I know I asked a question about 401k's and employer contributions a few
weeks back. Derek suggested that I create an account under Equity to
account for the employer's matching contribution. This seems like it
would work. However, I just realized I have another problem (a GNUCash
problem, but it is a nice problem to have) with my situation:

In addition to the matching contribution that my employer makes based on
my contribution to my 401k, my employer also makes another contribution
based on my salary. I get this "base" contribution whether I participate
in the 401k plan or not. The difference between the "matching" and the
"base" contributions is that the "matching" is 100% vested upon deposit
into my 401k account, and the "base" will not be 100% vested until after
a certain number of years that I have been working there. I was
wondering the best way to account for this "base" contribution.

Any suggestions on setting up my accounts so I can easily differentiate
between the "vested" and "unvested" parts of the 401k account (the "base
contributions are deposited into the same 401k account with my
contributions and my employer's matching contributions) when creating
reports? It should also be a system where it would be easy to
permanently "absorb" the "base" contributions once I do get vested. Or,
if I leave the company (it's a good company, but I work in the IT field,
so leaving may not be my decision) before getting vested, it should be a
system where I can make the unvested part easily "disappear."... Any
suggestions?

Thanks!