Almost duplicate transactions

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Mar 12 10:56:04 CST 2004

Hi,

davehall <davehall at stny.rr.com> writes:

> Derek,
>
> Sorry to email you directly, but I have been trying for two days to
> post to the gnucash.user newsgroup and nothing seems to be getting
> through.

Well, there is always 'cc'.  Also, the lists have been down (they seem
to do that a lot recently).

> I've just reviewed the entire thread on 'Almost duplicate
> transactions. The bottom line seems to be that there is some sort of
> difficulty with recognizing asset->asset transfers when importing QIF
> or OFX files.

Not at all.  It works just fine provided the transaction uses an
actual QIF Account in the 'L' (account/category) field.  It's only a
"problem" when you have a Category in the 'L' field, or no 'L' field
at all, in which case the QIF standard says you must map to an
income/expense account.

I don't know about OFX (which is why you should have sent this to the
list and not to me personally), but I suspect it's the same thing.

> I'm in about the same boat as Chris R. - I'm trying to use GnuCash to
> track my cash flow month to month.  In my case I would like to import
> OFX files for about 8 asset files and have the transfers between them
> all matched up.  Not suprisingly I am also having the same symptoms as
> Chris.

OFX != QIF.

I have had nothing to do with the OFX importer (well, very little).

> As I'm just getting started on this I've been letting GnuCash set up my
> accounts as I import each OFX file.  Is it possible that I need to
> choose a different account type or something other than the
> automatically assigned account name when creating the accounts?  (The
> default account type seems to be 'Bank'.)

Oh.. You should have created your account tree first, and then map the
imports to the existing accounts.

> If necessary and possible I would even write a script to pre-process my
> OFX files to get the transfers to work.  Can you suggest any
> documentation or resources in this respect.

FWIW, I pre-process some of my QIF downloads to make sure the
inter-account transfers get marked properly as QIF accounts so they
can be mapped properly to asset accounts.

> Thanks.
>
> -Dave
>
> P.S.  If you have any pointers as to why my posts to the newsgroup
> aren't getting through, I'd gladly try again.

The problem is that the lists are down about 50% of the time.  They
generally reset themselves at midnight CST every night, but
periodically they miss a night.  Hopefully the lists will get moved
sometime soon.

Also, make sure you're subbed to the list(s) or you'll be bounced.