Reconcilling checking account

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 3 23:25:38 EDT 2004

On Oct 3, 2004, at 7:12 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:

>   I have 1.8.9 running here after my system crash. Yesterday I entered
> all
> debits and credits from the beginning of 2004 from the paper check
> register.
> The paper record balances with the latest bank statement (September).
> However, I cannot get the gnucash version to the same state. No
> on-line help
> is available; every option I select in the "Help" menu returns a "URL
> not
> found" message.
>
>   After enterin all transactions I started at the top and changed the
> "F"
> field from 'n' to 'c' for each cleared check, debit card purchase and
> deposit. Then I ran "Reconcile" from the menu. Wasn't able to enter an
> ending balance and the attempt was way off. What is the proper
> procedure for
> this? I went looking for the help but it is not there.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

Can you get it to reconcile just January? When I switched mid year this
year, I found that using one month's statement to make sure that I had
the opening balance right was easier than trying to reconcile a ton of
transactions.

I've never had a problem with entering the 'closing' date and statement
balance in the first dialog that appears after choosing the Reconcile
command from the Actions menu. Do you get the first dialog before the
deposit/payment check-off lists appear?

The 'n' vs. 'c' status doesn't affect the reconciling much -- there is
a preference that tells gnucash to automatically check cleared items as
appearing on the statement (or not). But you can always just change the
state of the check mark in the reconcile dialog list.

Dave