Help Lost data during upgrade

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Oct 25 16:26:33 EDT 2004

"David J. Bakeman" <dbakeman at comcast.net> writes:

> Well I really would like to help but there is too much sensitive
> information :<)

Was kind of afraid of that.  :(

> However, if I understand what you're saying if I could get a working
> version of 1.6.x I might be able to import it into 1.6.x save it and
> then re load it into 1.8 right?

Theoretically, yes.

> In that regard what's the best way to build the 1.6.x version (also
> which 1.6.x would work best?)?  I tried to build 1.6.2 and 1.6.8 but
> they both complained about the lack of db 1.85 support.  I was
> unsuccessful in building the old 1.85 db stuff so I tried the db 4
> stuff with compatability turned on.  This meant I had to go to 1.6.8
> since that seemed to support the compatibility mode then I had
> problems with pthread being required.  So after I gave up trying to
> get rid of the pthread requirement for db 4 I added -lpthread to
> LDFLAGS and got past the db problem.  Now it complains about gtkhtml
> not being there.  So which old version of gtkhtml do I need?

I honestly don't know.  1.6 is OLD OLD software.  I haven't used it in
years.  1.8 has been the stable version for almost two years, now, and
I had been using the development version for almost a year before
that.  I would guess "gtkhtml-1.0" is what you need.  You also will
need guile 1.4 (or earlier).  And an earlier version of g-wrap.

> Should I just give up and reinstall rh6.2 get a 1.6.x version of
> gnucash and do it that way?

Well, I'd go with RH7.3 instead of 6.2, but that's up to you.  ;)

But seems kind of a long way around (to me) just to upgrade a data
file.  Granted, it'll probably get you a working data file sooner, but
it's not helping the gnucash project to fix this problem.  *shrugs*