entering a transaction

Dale Alspach alspach at math.okstate.edu
Sun Sep 5 21:10:46 EDT 2004

1) paid 1,000 rent:  dr rent 1000,   cr checking acct 1000
2) rcvd 5000 in revenue:  dr checking acct 5000,
     cr repair fees  1000, cr sales 4000
3) write a paycheck: cr checking 1000, dr salary 1300,
    cr fica 100, cr fed inc tax with 200

Assuming that you have created all the accounts,
 open the checkbook register.

1) Enter or adjust the date, tab, enter the check number, tab, enter the
description, tab, choose the other account for rent (just start typing the
account name), tab, tab, enter 1000, hit enter.

2) Enter the date, tab, tab, enter description, click the split button,
tab, fill in additional info, tab past the checking account, enter 5000,
tab, tab, enter additional info, tab choose, repair fees, tab, tab, enter, 1000,
tab, tab, enter additional info, tab, choose sales account, tab, enter
4000, hit enter.

3) is like 1) but hit split so that you can do the three other accounts.

(I am not at a place where I can use gnucash, so some details may be
slightly off.)

Dale Alspach