gnucash over X font problem

andy thomas andy at netstat-a.net
Thu Sep 23 10:25:42 EDT 2004

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Maf. King wrote:

> On Thursday 23 Sep 2004 13:39, andy thomas wrote:
> > On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Derek Atkins wrote:
>

> > > Honestly, I don't know what gnucash-1.8 is doing differently than
> > > gnucash-1.6; the X/Gnome/Gtk dependencies are EXACTLY THE SAME.  This
> > > means it's a difference in the dependency provided by SuSE, not a
> > > difference in the version of gnucash or how it uses those dependencies.
> > > I.E., this is something that SuSE 9.1 does vs. SuSE 8.2 -- it has nothing
> > > to do with gnucash 1.8.
> > >

> Just a complete stab in the dark - SuSE 9.1 uses utf-8 per default (I know
> gtk-1 has problems with this) and AFAIK older SuSEs were not utf-8 enabled.
>
> Maybe character encoding is to blame?

This is actually a very good point!! A whole load of info came up on-screen
about utf-8 fonts at the end of the SuSE 9.1 install process but so far it
hasn't made any difference to anything I've been doing on the system.

I'll check all this out now as my remote clients are running all sorts of
xterm's, dxterm's, rxvt's etc and I've never had to think about character
encoding before (except vt100 compatibility in some instances) - they are
probably set to iso-8859-1.

> not even 2 cents worth -

Probably at least $200 worth to me!

cheers,

Andy

Andy Thomas,
netstat -a llp

Tel: +44 (0)7815 060872
Fax: +44 (0)20 8372 2582
http://www.netstat-a.net

...applying the glue that holds it together