Importing QIF fails

Ron Pepper feffer777 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 20:55:41 EST 2005

On 12/5/05, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:

> Please remember to CC gnucash-user on all replies...
>
> Ron Pepper <feffer777 at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Thanks for the quick reply, I was away from the computer for some time.
> When
> > exporting the Full Export from Quicken on the Mac, I got a message at
> the end
> > saying, "If a security has no symbol associated with it, it's price
> history is
> > not exported. This might impact the reported Market Value of your
> securtiy
> > when you import".
>
> That's not important.. The QIF importer doesn't import price quotes.
>
> > All securities have been given symbols and mostly I used the publicly
> traded
> > security symbol, however the mutual funds in a 401k were given the
> proprietary
> > designation that the plan used since they are not publicly traded. Also
> 2
> > funds in my wife's 403b were given an arbitrary symbol since they didn't
> have
> > one otherwise. I'm not sure whether or not this makes a difference. I
> did see
> > my symbol designations in the price.qif file though; none where blank or
> > changed.
>
> Okay..
>
> > When I import this file into Gnucash, the import stops at 65% and I get
> the
> > error message, "An error has occurred while loading the QIF file". Of
> course,
> > that's not a very satisfying or informative message!
>
> What's printed on the terminal?
>
> > When I exported single files, Categories, Classes, Prices, Security all
> > started with the appropriate !Type line, Accounts started with !
> > Option:AutoSwitch. When I checked the Full Export file, that seemed to
> show !
> > Type lines for the various types and I couldn't see any obvious error
> around 2
> > /3 rds (65%) of the way down.
> >
> > I'm really not sure how to start troubleshooting this any suggestions?
>
> Well, first, see what's printed on the terminal, if anything.
> That might help.  Then you might want to consider a binary search
> through the file to figure out what's failing.  Unfortunately
> the qif importer was written long ago by a developer who's no longer
> around.  It's only sort-of maintained but it's rather... finicky.

I'm running gnucash from the GUI, not the terminal. So I don't get any
terminal messages. Also, I looked for a gnucash error log, but didn't find
anything. As I mentioned, I'm fairly new to Linux; where do I find error log
information?

Ron

Please remember to keep the messages on the list so others can