Is there a PalmOS app that can sync with gnucash?

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 6 00:38:36 EST 2005

If you want a full-blown sync, where any transaction either entered or
edited on either platform gets transferred/implemented on the other
platform during Hotsync, then the answer (I'm pretty sure) is no. I
think Neil Williams' QOF work could make it possible in the future for
such syncs to happen. But that will be a while yet.

If you would be happy with entering your on-the-go transactions in the
palm, and uploading to gnucash, then there are several choices. I use
PocketMoney  (http://www.catamount.com/PalmApps/PocketMoneyPalm.html)
to do this one-way upload via a qif file. PM's conduit has a setting
that allows just uploading changes since the last sync -- and it
appends them to the existing qif file. That means you don't have to
import to gnucash every time you sync the Palm. But also, as long as
you delete the qif file on the Mac once you do import to gnucash, the
only duplicates you'll ever have to deal with are transactions you
really did enter on both Palm and Mac. If you want current balances on
the Palm, PM will allow you to reconcile the Palm accounts to the
balances in gnucash with a relatively simple balancing transaction. But
this balancing is manual on the Palm and doesn't maintain transaction
level detail of anything originally entered on the Mac.

If you really want to try going from GnuCash to Palm, there is a java
app - http://gnucashtoqif.sourceforge.net/ - that will convert your
entire GnuCash file to qif. You could conceivably do a 2 step sync:
upload from Palm and import into GnuCash, then export everything to qif
and reimport that qif into a blank PocketMoney file on the Palm. Unless
your gnucash account tree is very simple, I can guarantee that trying
to go from gnucash to the palm will have you tearing out your hair
quite soon.

Dave
--
David Reiser