account transition to new year

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Feb 7 09:28:00 EST 2005

Enrique Barahona Ramos <kikokun at telus.net> writes:

> Still, it's not quite clear to me what the purpose of the equity account
> is then. Is it not supposed to reflect the net wealth?
> At what point do you transfer money to it and in what fashion (from what
> account?)
> Cheers

The equity accounts show your net wealth at the "start", i.e., when
you start using gnucash.  The reports (e.g. Balance Sheet) will show
you your Equity Standing at any point once you start using GnuCash.
If you really wish you could rebalance your Income and Expense accounts
into Equity, but then you lose the ability to report on previous years.