Reports from the PostGres Database

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Feb 24 14:01:55 EST 2005

Hi, Ted,

"ted creedon" <tcreedon at easystreet.com> writes:

> I'm looking at the gnucash Postgres database defs and plan to get some perl reports
> out this week.

oooh, brave soul...

> I have converted Quicken/MsMoney to gnucash and corrected the data, saved it to
> postgres.

Oooh, even BRAVER soul!

> It looks like the database is flat tables with plenty of fields that could be used
> for queries.

I doubt the original creators tried to obfuscate the database too much...

> From the web site it doesn't look like much report writing is going on (or
> documentation).

There hasn't been a large call for additional reports.  We've
certainly added a few reports over time, and there are a handful of
new reports in CVS that haven't been released.  But generally when
someone writes a new report we add it to the source tree.

> Not a clue about how database updates are handled (if at all).

When you make a change to your data, gnucash updates the database.
Or is that not what you're asking?

> Is the sql server db in sync with the .xac file because it is completely replaced
> every save?

No, once you save into PG it stops saving into .xac.  The backend is
the backend.

> Any pointers to reports would be appreciated.

src/reports/...

> One bug I found is in the .dtd when a xml->excel conversion was done. The tax
> number is not in its s own separate field, its in with the text description.

What dtd?  There aren't any dtds for the xml format; or at least there
are no dtds that are guaranteed accurate.