Re Handling GST & PST from Credit Card transactions

Derrick Ashby daeroncs at fastmail.fm
Sun Jan 30 16:11:13 EST 2005

Russell,

I agree that GST is a bit of a pain in gnucash, but it is do-able.  You
have to create the split transaction yourself.  This is easy if you
regularly deal with only a few vendors, since gnucash defaults to the
last transaction you did with the same description.  You then only need
to balance each transaction where the amounts are different.  I
personally use a little spreadsheet to calculate the GST / Ex GST split,
not having previously twigged to the fact that gnucash accepted formulas
in amount fields.  If you desperately need to capture vendor information
other than via the description line, I guess you could create a
subaccount for each vendor, although that could become a pain if you
also have lots of expenses accounts.

 From a business point of view, if you are claiming GST back from the
government, don't listen to the people who tell you that it goes in a
Liability account.  Claimable GST is an asset.  Non-Claimable GST is an
expense.  GST paid to you by a customer is a Liability, because it's not
your money - it's the government's.

Down here in Australia we are able to use cash accounting, so I in fact
have two GST Liability accounts - GST Collected and GST Receivable.  GST
Receivable is the GST that I am required to collect once the invoice
gets paid (this is processed automatically by gnucash), and GST
Collected is the money that has actually been collected.  This requires
me to remember to do a transfer from the one to the other when I process
a payment!

Derrick