GNUCash for member accounting?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Jul 4 13:49:00 EDT 2005

norman_cheung at sil.org writes:

> I have a simple member accounting task and  wonder if GNUCash can help me.
>
> I am looking for system to handle the income and expenses (about 5 - 10
> transactions a month) of 1000 members.
> All the transactions of these 1000 members are send to me in an XML file.
>  This file can easily be converted to CSV or OFX.
>
> My question:
> 1. Can I use GNUCash to import these transaction and post them according to
> the member's account and offset it to a bank account.  If this is feasible,
> how easy or difficult it is to set this up?  Can I create 1000 accounts by
> importing a text file?

You could create an "example account" XML file that you can use to
create the initial set of accounts when you create your data file.
But there's no "batch mode" to help you programatically create 1000
accounts in an existing data file.

> 2. At the end of the month, I would like to bring the balances of each member
> account to zero(using a script?).  Also I would like to generate a text file
> (preferably XML) with one entry for each member of the credit or the charge
> amount needed to bring the account to zero.

Nothing like this is currently available.  You could probably use an
OFX or QIF import to insert the necessary transactions, but you would
need an external process to generate the necessary transactions.