1.8.10+ on Suse 9.3 or release import/export?

Thomas Spahni tsp at lawbiz.ch
Fri Jul 29 07:59:04 EDT 2005

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, C S wrote:

> Up and running, it's not pretty but will take awhile
> to prove out though.
>
> 1)  Tried source compile (ugh), forget it.

Hi everyone,

I have compiled gnc from source on a few different SuSE distributions and
found it the most convenient way to update.

Needless to say that you have to install all required '*.devel' packages
but this is fairly easy with yast.

First get g-wrap-1.3.4 source and compile/install separately. I run
configure from the following shell script:

#!/bin/sh
# set a few variables
LANG=
GNOMEPATH=/opt/gnome
GTK_DATA_PREFIX=/opt/gnome
export GNOMEPATH GTK_DATA_PREFIX LANG
./configure
# end of script

then make && su -c 'make install' as usual.

Then you are ready to compile gnucash. Keep adding devel packages and
libraries as long as configure complains about something missing.
Once you have a complete system, any new releases will compile easily.

I use these steps to configure gnucash on my SuSE distribution (this
works on 8.2; I have not yet upgraded to 9.3):

tar xvzf gnucash-1.8.11.tar.gz

ln -s gnucash-1.8.11 gnucash

-- then run the following script (I call it 'SuSE-gnc-config')
#!/bin/sh
CC=gcc
CFLAGS=-O2
PATH="$PATH:/opt/gnome/bin"
(cd gnucash
rm -rf config.cache
configure --prefix=/usr --enable-gui --disable-error-on-warning \
	--build=i386-linux-gnu
)
# end of script

cd gnucash
make
su -c 'make install'

Hope this helps. I do not recommend to install any rpm package which is
not made for your distribution. This means looking for trouble.

Regards,
Thomas Spahni