manually moving a transaction to a different account

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Mon Jun 13 20:18:33 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 00:00 +0000, Terrence Brannon wrote:
> In my target account, I see Edit -> Paste Transaction, but the source
> account does not have an Edit -> Cut/Copy Transaction option, so I am
> having difficulty moving a transaction from one account to another
> manually.

Really?  I have the menu options, though they do not seem to work...

> I would appreciate some input on how to achieve this.

You probably want to change the account of the split which currently
references the "Unspecified" account to instead reference the
appropriate Expense account...

As per your earlier email, this will achieve what you want ... each
imported transaction right now is debiting the bank account and
crediting the "Unspecified" expense account, where you want it to debit
the (same) bank account and instead credit a specific expense account.

I wouldn't use the cut/copy/paste functionality, but instead the
keyboard .... you can tab between both splits and transactions, and make
use of the account auto-completion to change the Account of the
"unspecified split".

If you don't want to use the keyboard, just open up the bank account and
sequentially click on the account column of each transaction.  There
should be a drop-down control which will let you select account for the
"other side" of the transaction.

...jsled