[GnuCash] Monthly closings - question

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at farwestbilliards.com
Mon Jun 27 12:47:31 EDT 2005

Bob Alexander wrote:
> With the help of this great group of friends and the excellent SW as you
> know I started tracking my little income and my huge expenses :(
>
> I am interested in closing monthly my accounts (I hope my English is
> correct).
>
> In this moment my expense/incpme account are growing and at the end of
> the month I would like to have June's totals displayed elsewhere and
> these accounts restarting with a 0 balance.

I'm not sure why you would want to do this. I can see doing this at
year-end, but for month-to-month, you should just adjust the dates of
reports you are running. Otherwise, if you try to 0-out these accounts,
you'll have to offset them somewhere and they won't really go away.

> Is this correct ?
>
> Is this feasable ? If so how ?
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Robert
>
> PS Is there a way of moving an expense account in another hierarchy ? I
> have:
>
> Expenses
>    Personal Expenses
>       Automobile
>       Food
>    Banking fees
>    Work reimbursable expenses
>
> and would like to move Banking fees under Personal Expenses

right-click on "Banking Fees", select "Edit Account", in the window that
appears, mid-right side, is a "parent account" list, select "Personal
Expenses", click "OK" and you're done.