exporting selected account subtree

TMaynard rustym at main.nc.us
Tue Mar 1 16:43:09 EST 2005

After posting on this problem, I did find the thread titled "transaction
transfer"  around Feb 4
http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2005-February/012873.html
which points to  the  project
http://code.neil.williamsleesmill.me.uk/guidelines.html
I was under the impression that  the existing  export would export
transactions  (I had the gluttons hope for a tool to also export
transactions only within specified subtrees).  When I looked at the
product XML from export , I now see that export currently means only a
skelton of account definitions apparently for  starting a clean,new COA.
   Well I do look forward to  transaction transfer export (both entire
COA and also subtrees)
It seems like that ability to package entire subtrees for  export (to
another COA)  would be the basis for also doing prune and graft within a
COA ...but I am actually interested only in the simplest form of
grafting into the destination new account.
   1. it would not be a prune in the originating COA (I refer to
exporting  not deleting a region)
   2.  in the destination I am only seeking to add the subtree of
account definitions under its own placeholder account in the destination
(therefore these would  become  new qualified account names at the
destination)
  3.  I am mostly  interested in the benefit of  dates,description and
D/C values . I would be willing direct my labor toward manually creating
(and editing in) the  proper account labels for each transaction , just
as one must do that with incoming  bank QIF data.

  The logic for Neil Williams project seems to be more ambitious to give
a guided assistance to more complicated merging of transactions into
existing accounts at the destination:
<snip>
"qof_book_merge needs to determine for each object in import if it's:
"the same"              (guids match)
"maybe the same"        (guids don't match but something else matches,
                        like maybe the account name or invoice owner/date)
"new"                   ("clearly" new)

 I would welcome a beta testing  tool to do :
 A:  export (*copy*) subtree from source COA
B:  graft new (under *empty* placeholder) in destination COA.

 It seems that the task I am describing is partly provided by the QIF
import that already exists (not being a programmer looking at the code).
At some point the incoming bank transactions are assigned unique QUID's
and dummy or one sided  account labels.
  Far be it from me to prod the timeline that Neil Williams must juggle
for problem solving that I don't even understand, but  if anyone attends
to the more restricted agenda that I have described then I look forward
to beta testing.
 I would even welcome a blow by blow description of how to safely
identify&copy the pertinent subtree of the source COA and paste *only*
under/within  the waiting "placeholder" in the destination XML.
 Like the provision  to turn Right on Red or after stopping, maybe this
is a maneuver that can be safely performed without getting arrested.
Thanks  Rusty