Council Tax

Mike gnucash at quirky.me.uk
Wed Mar 9 13:44:23 EST 2005

--- Jean-David Beyer <jdbeyer at exit109.com> wrote:

> I do not think of Liability as you do.
>
> For me, it is a known expense (e.g., for merchandise received, or services
> rendered) that need not be paid all at once in the near future (so is not
> accounts payable). An insurance bill that you may elect to pay all at
> once, but have the option to pay quarterly, might be a liability. You
> could argue that that is money you borrowed, but I would not.

But I can always move out of my home or cancel my insurance. That still leaves
it as a fixed monthly expense in my books. Having lived in other countries,
I've found it's a UK peculiarity to make insurance and council tax conceptually
a 'yearly' thing, even though it still remains a monthly payment.
Cheers
Mike