EURO

Mon Mar 28 19:29:23 EST 2005

> G'day Josh,
>
> * Josh Sled <jsled at asynchronous.org> [050328 17:46]:
> > I guess there could be a "qualified symbol" which is unique across
> > locales and an "unqualified symbol" which may not be.  Sometimes, they
> > are one in the same (Euro, Pound, Yen, ...).
> >
> > But we should use the right currency symbols when possible, and
> > disambiguate the cases that need it.  The easy way out would be to
> > qualify them all, but -- as you say -- better to leave unqualified the
> > symbol of the current locale (iff there is only one).
>
> Doesn't this then require that someone in the GnuCash family keep
> abreast of each and every currency and when a country changes update a
> list of "similar symbols"?

I apologize in advance if I misunderstood that...

Do you mean that someone would have to monitor the currencies symbol changes???
Cos' if it's that I can't remember any country changing the symbol for fun... Except France for instance,when we switched to Euro...

> Whilst I would like the symbols for the various currencies, it seems
> to be a whole lot of work that is only vaguely related to GnuCash.  I
> guess this is something that Gnome could use as an additional
> library/option.

I would like that feature if the user can decide to display the symbol or the EUR :) etc.

Regards,
Ludo