Separating Years

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Wed Mar 30 13:16:57 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 12:27, Rich Shepard wrote:

> for me. The one remaining question whose answer I have not yet found is: how
> do I separate years?

There's no "book closing" support in 1.8.  The two options are as
mention are: new file with the same CoA or use the same file but limit
the reports...

> Do I create a new data file but retain the old CoA?

File > Export > Export Accounts...
File > Open...
File > Save As...

>    I've looked through all menus and cannot find a way to specify that reports
> (e.g., account journals) cover only specified dates. So, if I continue adding
> 2005 data to the 2004 data file can I specify only this year on reports?

Most reports do have some facility to constrain the time-range; see the
report options dialog via the toolbar button on the reports.  When
available, this has the ability to select specific start/end dates, as
well as "{current,previous} year {start,end}".

The registers, as well, can be configured to work within a particular
date range via the [View > Select Transactions > Date Range > Set Range]
menu.

...jsled