Downloading European share prices

David Hampton hampton-gnucash at rainbolthampton.net
Tue May 3 13:10:04 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 00:59 +0800, Benjamin So wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> According to FinkCommander, my 1.08-11 version of finance-quote is
> up-to-date. Using your example, I get the following result:
>
> benjamin$ dump-finance-quote yahoo UBSN.VX
>
> The query for UBSN.VX failed!!
> Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
>      symbol: UBSN.VX              <=== required
>        date: 5/3/2005             <=== required
>    currency: ** missing **        <=== required
>        last: 94.85                <=\
>         nav:                      <=== one of these
>       price: 94.85                <=/
>    timezone:                      <=== optional
>
> The failure message is a bit worrying, although the value is the same.
> Also, the currency is missing.

The error is misleading.  From a F::Q point of view, the query was
successful.  From a Gnucash point of view, the query failed because the
returned quote has no currency attached.

> Is this perhaps an indication that I
> need to update finance-quote, despite Fink's opinion to the contrary?

1.08 is indeed the latest released version of F::Q.  I haven't asked the
lead F::Q maintainer to push out a new version of F::Q because I was
hoping to get in a few more changes first.  I've been sidetracked by
other projects which is why it hasn't happened yet.

David