gnucash roadahead

Brian Rose b_rose at shaw.ca
Thu Oct 20 01:00:50 EDT 2005

>>Is there some plan to incorporate an improvement
>>on good ideas from other software?
>

> Define "plan".

Ok, I presume we can't just "steal ideas from
competing products and implement exactly".
So, how are improvements approved as good ideas?
Should I add my requests to
Gnucash bug zilla or to the Gnucash wiki wishlist?

We'd love to add more features
> (once the g2 port is finished).  Are you offering
> to implement them?

Hehe. We-l-l, this is where the rubber meets the
road isn't it? I would be open to taking on
small implementation tasks at first. Is there some
way to know how big of a project a
specific task is--like on a scale of 1 to 10?
Alternatively, where would I start? Suppose, I
implemented the request--hypothetically, to
provide an option to configure reports before
generating. How would I go about that? Where would
I look in the source and docs? I
guess a developer could answer these questions
when I expressed a desire to implement
the feature?

> Yes, no, no.  The current plan is to support SQLite
> as the main file storage system.  The process of
> converting to SQLite /may/ enable MySQL, but that
> is not a direct goal.  There are no plans OR intentions
> to supply a web frontend.

Yes, I would suggest to have the backend support
generic SQL so that it was
customizable in the future for a web frontend or
an enterprise setting with MySQL
or PostGres.

>>    Is there a need for web people
>>to keep the GnuCash site updated?
>

> I dont know.

Well, when I see the architecture and roadmap
hasn't really changed for years, I don't know
about the direction of the Gnucash team now.

  I would suggest you read
> the -devel archives for ideas on how you can help.

Ok.

>>How many programmers are really involved in
>>improving Gnucash? I noticed on a
>>cvs history page that there weren't a lot of
>>different people committing changes.
>

> Maybe 4-6.

This explains A LOT! What about merchandising and
branding Gnucash with  cool version
names and putting funny quotes, or whatever on
t-shirts? T-shirts can be cheap to make
and fun to wear! Mozilla does this--no idea how
successful it is.

Lets make it fun and cool to use and easy to "get
in"--relatively. I mean
I realize accounting/bookkeeping is not equivalent
in "ease" to browsing.

Sincerely,
Brian
--
Contagious Design!
web . design . photo

Brian Rose .  web programmer
(604)-630-2426 . brianATcontagiousdesignDOTnet