gnucash roadahead

Mark Johnson mrj001 at shaw.ca
Thu Oct 20 11:14:01 EDT 2005

Robert Heller wrote:

>Software is not like typical manufactured
>goods.  Software never wears out or gets used up, so once the product
>hits a certain maturity level, there is no need to 'buy it again'.

Strictly speaking, this is true.  However, software does experience
"aging", rather than mechanical wear and tear.  One example of this is
the QB tax tables, which have to be purchased every year.  Regulations
change and new ones are made.  Without updates, the software becomes
useless.

A second example is the environment in which software runs.  Operating
systems get updated, sometimes breaking older software.  Then
updates/bug fixes are required to continue running.  Hardware changes
can require software updates as well.

While not exactly wearing out, these changes are similar.

I agree that the business model does not favour customers.  This is a
problem in commercial software.

Locking up the customer's data is a rather despicable tactic.  I
consider it a sign of poor value in the software.  Perhaps the vendor
does not have sufficient confidence in the superiority of their product
to believe that customers would continue to choose it without the lockup.

Mark