Price editor frustrations

David Hampton hampton-gnucash at rainbolthampton.net
Wed Sep 21 18:23:18 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 17:15 -0400, bowman wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 10:10:01AM -0400, David Hampton wrote:
> > Any chance you have a zero price for this commodity in the price
> > database?  That's the only way I can get gnucash to produce results
> > similar to yours.
>
> That may be possible, as I am confused as to what the price database is.

I was referring to the data you see in the price editor.

> In making the initial purchase I set the price per share right in the
> transaction when I entered it onto the fund's account.

The value in the transaction is only used in the computations for that
transaction.  It isn't stored anywhere else and isn't used for computing
the value of the commodity in the accounts page, reports, etc.

> Then I used the
> price editor from the tools menu to change the price to reflect the
> market change.  Is there somewhere else I should be setting the price
> of shares?  The price editor has a price set for shares in the fund
> now, but changing that price does not appear to do anything at all.

No, the price editor is the right place.  All computations of the value
of a commodity use the prices from here.  If you have a report open when
you change the commodity price in the price editor, you won't see any
change in the report until you click the "Reload" button in the toolbar.

If you look through all the entries in the price editor, is there one
for your mutual fund with a price of zero?

David