Finance::Quote and TiaaCref

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 24 00:27:19 EDT 2005

Sometime between 9/14 and today, my installation of gnucash and
finance::quote quit being able to retrieve quotes from TIAA-CREF.
Tonight I get:

% dump-finance-quote yahoo AAPL
Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
     symbol: AAPL                 <=== required
       date: 09/23/2005           <=== required
   currency: USD                  <=== required
       last: 53.20                <=\
        nav:                      <=== one of these
      price: 53.20                <=/
   timezone:                      <=== optional

but

% dump-finance-quote tiaacref CREFstok

instead. for CREFSTOK failed!!  Found data for stock(s)
instead.ata for stock(s) CREFstok,
   Found data for stock(s) CREFstok, CREFstok has no data available
for selected  instead.

Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
     symbol: CREFSTOK (deduced)   <=== required
       date: ** missing **        <=== required
   currency: ** missing **        <=== required
       last:                      <=\
        nav:                      <=== one of these
      price:                      <=/
   timezone:                      <=== optional

The price editor will retrieve all the other quotes I normally
download, but it won't get the TIAA-CREF retirement fund quotes.

I'm using fink on a Mac, and I acquired the finance-quote-pm586
modules in May when I upgraded my system to OSX 10.4. But I don't
know if my environment might still have been using an older version
of F::Q that hadn't been removed (I had two older version around...).