Installing v2.0

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Sun Jul 23 09:28:30 EDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-07-23 at 02:53 -0700, John R. Sowden wrote:
> I currently have the previous version installed (came with Suse 9.3).
> The download info does not reference dealing with the previous version.  It
> does say that the following is required:
> Gnome 2, guile, slib and g-wrap.
> but, it does not give simple command line commands to make sure they are
> there, and are the correct version (this should be added as a link on the
> aove text, to the site.

The configure script will check for these.  The file README.dependencies
has the specific minimum-version of the packages required.  The commands
for checking for the packages are system dependent, so we don't provide
them for all distros, no.

> Do I need to delete the prev version?

GnuCash 2 is expected to be installed in the same location as GnuCash 1.
If you don't remove the previous version, it will be overwritten; it's
probably best to remove the previous version so catch any files that
aren't overwritten (because they're not used anymore), to keep system
cruft to a minimum.

> If so, how?

`${package_manager} ${remove_option} ${gnucash_version}`.

> Do I loose my chart of
> accounts?

No, that's part of you datafile, which will be read fine with gnucash
2.0.  The example/default account hierarchies are a bit cleaned up, but
basically the same from 1.8.

> Can I purse any tranactions, so I am starting clean?

File > New File , if you like.

--
...jsled