The Latest trouble

Kevin Broderick gnucash at kevinbroderick.com
Tue Jun 20 16:04:08 EDT 2006

(my responses to edited email are inline)
On 20 Jun 2006, at 1:42 PM, David T. wrote:
> Derek--
>
> Since you want this on the list...
>
> As I am not a developer, but a user, I didn't think to search the
> developer
> forums.

In my experience, it's fairly common to make the leap from checking a
-users list to a -devel list when attempting to get things working on
the bleeding edge.  The -users list is certainly a good place to
start, but -devel tends to be necessary when you start getting into
new platforms and/or pre-release software.  To make this easier from
a search perspective, the mailing list search page defaults to both -
user and -devel.

> Well, DUH, I turned on unstable in Fink and it doesn't show. I
> thought that if
> I turned on the unstable tree, I'd see 1.9. See my note above (the
> part about
> not being a developer). Furthermore, I don't finking understand how
> you expect
> me to "get that [1.9] working" if your own goddamned website tells
> me that
> installing the application and its dependencies is best handled by
> fink, and
> then your finking application won't finking show in fink?

I think this is fairly clear in the wiki--you can use fink to get the
dependencies, but you need to grab GnuCash from svn if you want to
install 1.9.x on OS X.  If it's not, I would appreciate comments on
how I might clarify the wiki page to avoid further confusion.

> And I will not go into the wiki and add pages, because the only
> pages I would
> add at this point are strictly negative and would not be helpful.
[CHOMP]

Actually, in this case, a polite negative note on the OSXInstallation
page was probably appropriate, and I have added one.  You have
encountered a known problem with dependencies

> You say that the problem is with Fink. You're wrong there--the
> problem is with
> the packages that won't compile under Darwin, which is exacerbated
> by the fact
> that Fink gets behind the times on all these packages.

Other people have reported success with compilation under OS X on
Intel, although none have managed to successfully use the
application.  In short, either the packages or their fink ports
contain bugs that appear only in OS X on Intel-based Macs, and those
issues will (hopefully) be resolved by the package maintainers as
they are able to get to them.

> I understand that this
> all is qualifies as a Big Change in the OS X world, and am game to
> try to find
> a solution, if I can. But GnuCash's developers don't help things by
> the secrecy
> around the GnuCash dependencies.

I fail to see how the dependencies are in any way secret.  fink finds
them just fine for 1.8, and I was able to compile 1.9.x based on the
list of dependencies listed in the MacOSXInstallation wiki page.  As
I wrote that page, I would certainly welcome any corrections (I
didn't take the time to start with a clean fink install, so it is
entirely possible that I missed a package or two that I already had
installed).

> I'll finish where I started, Derek: I'm trying to be a USER. I'm
> trying to
> follow the website's directions for getting GnuCash to run for me
> so that I can
> USE it. All I really want is to be able to USE GnuCash.

Unfortunately, no one has yet had success doing so under OS X on
Intel.  I'm sorry that wasn't clear in the wiki, and I hope it is
now; if anyone has any corrections for my note in the wiki, please
feel free to add them.  I do not have a MacIntel system to test with
(although I'd be happy to take one for testing purposes; anyone who
would like to may contact me backchannel for a mailing address).