Archive of this newsgroup?

Adam Rosi-Kessel adam at rosi-kessel.org
Fri Mar 24 11:27:37 EST 2006

Unfortunately, even in this day and age, mailman list archives are not
easily searchable from the web. You could try a google search limited to the
domain name in question; you could wget all of the gzipped versions, i.e.

wget -H --cut-dirs=2 -r -l 1 --accept gz \
	http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user
zcat *.gz > list_archive.txt

then search list_archive.txt.

Although it might seem pedantic, you could add an explicit link to the list
archive in the footer. I've run several dozen lists, and come to terms with
the fact that, at least for our lifetimes, there will *always* be people who
ask (1) how to unsubscribe and (2) where the list archive is, even when
there is a link in the footer. I've found that there will be *fewer* such
people if you actually put in the footer, e.g.:

or even better:

To unsubscribe, send a blank message to list-unsubscribe at ...

At least in that case when someone writes asking one of these questions, you
can point them not only to a URL in the footer but the ACTUAL TEXT answering
their question.