Compiling Gnucash (was [Re: Compiling guile])

Charles Gagnon charlesg at unixrealm.com
Mon Nov 13 13:10:11 EST 2006

Just FYI.

Well I gave up... I didn't want to give up on Gnucash for now so I
gave up Solaris. I replaced my workstation for a Dell PC and slapped
Fedora Core 6 on it.

Installing Gnucash on FC6 was as trivial as it should be. I am
almost fully migrated to 2.0.2 and happy.

I depend on Gnucash *way* to much now to struggle like this with
every new release that comes out. It does work on Solaris but from a
user standpoint, it's a cludge and a hack which is not what you want
for a financial software. I have been using it on Solaris for years
now and it never crashed or corrupted anything so it does work. But
getting new releases compiled was getting harder and harder.

Solaris 10 cought up on a lot of GPL stuff, making GC 1.8.x really
easy to work with. But with 2.0.0 coming out, compiling was again a
challenge.

So for now, I will run gc only on Linux. And I would *strongly*
recommend that anyome who is seriously considering using gnucash
stick to a platform where it is supported out of the box and where
pre-compiled packages are available. I still compiled to make sure
it did but the packages where available through yum.

Next step, getting OFX to work...

--
Charles Gagnon                   | My views are my views and they
http://unixrealm.com             | do not represent those of anybody