transfering multiple accounts

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 3 21:37:28 EDT 2006

--- Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:

> yury nedelin <ynedelin at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hi I am very new to GnuCash, 1 day, I have imported the .QIF file in to the
> > Unspecified account in GnuCash. Then I have created an subaccount for the
> > phone bills.   So I have a bunch of these bills in my unspecified account
> > all with the same name and  just different dates.  Now I would like to
> > transfer all the phone bills, about 15 of them, into my new Phone Account.
> > I could do ti one by one but that seems like a waste of a computer power.
> >
> > Is there  way to do that automatically ?  And so in the future if  I have a
> > bill from AT&T it just goes into the Phone account.
>
> No, there's no way to do that automatically.  What you SHOULD have done
> is taken the time during the QIF import to map the payees and memos to the
> proper GnuCash accounts.  You can do that in future imports.

Derek--

"SHOULD" is a strong word. Especially since, if you try to map transactions to
accounts in the import function, data entry is orders of magnitude slower.
That's because the account select widget in the import druid doesn't have
keyboard quickfind. You have to click to each account manually--which is
problematic especially if you have a large set of asset accounts. That's
actually why I have taken to importing transactions into Undefined and changing
them later. I open the Undefined account and edit the transactions there until
they're all "gone". For basic expense transactions, if I use single line
display, I can power through the list substantially faster.

While I'm on the import druid, I wish that imported transactions didn't fill in
each split line memo with the QIF description, which for transactions imported
from my banks is usually some unreadable gobbledy-gook. It looks ugly, and
doesn't really inform me of anything.

Another (admittedly picky) issue I've noticed is that Gnucash automatically
updates the Autofill cache with the entries that get imported. Again, from most
banks, this comes through in a format I don't like (like ALL CAPS, WHICH I FIND
I CAN'T READ). But I have to go through all sorts of hoops to trick GC into
letting me have "Finance Charge" instead of "FINANCE CHARGE". In various other
applications that do this kind of thing, you have the option to Ctrl-Z back
from a change that the software does, but that doesn't work for me in GC.

And finally, I have noticed that the find duplicates part of the druid only
seems to find a single duplicate transaction, despite there being several that
ought to match...

David