Data Entry Oddities

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Oct 5 10:32:50 EDT 2006

"David T." <sunfish62 at yahoo.com> writes:

> I've been migrating information into Gnucash 2.0.1, and I've noticed a few UI
> oddities that I'd like to understand better.
>
> First, it appears that pressing enter on a split line is different from tabbing
> "off the end" (for want of a better term) of that same line. When I press
> Enter, GC automatically enters an Imbalance-USD line item in the transaction,
> whereas if I tab off the end, a blank line in the amount is created. What is
> going on here, and why is there a difference?

Different code-paths depending on how you exit a line.  It's a major
PITA, and it's the main reason why the Edit Exchange Rate functionality
is broken.  IMHO you should always use 'tab' until you're done with
the whole transaction...

Hopefully the new register re-write will alleviate this issue.

[snip]
> Finally, I have been burned several times by the fact that GC doesn't save on a
> transaction-by-transaction basis. I am used to the many other database and
> financial packages out there that store data record by record. Is there a way
> to change GnuCash's save behavior to follow a transactional save model?

Send us the code for a SQLite backend.