Accounting Question

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 15 01:46:20 EDT 2006

Anthony--

But what if you record this as an expense, and (for want of a better term) the
payback as an *anti-expense*? If you register this transaction as a business
expense, and then record the payment against the same expense account, the two
will cancel each other out, and you will have no liability either way, since
the end result will be zero.

And isn't that really what is going on here? You're laying out money that gets
returned to you later, so there's no net change on you (although the idea of
this as a loan certainly gets me thinking!).

FWIW, I've always done these as expenses, since it's out of my pocket first.
And if they don't fully reimburse, then I've got an expense that is deductible.

David