Importing QIF making new accounts

Andrew Sackville-West ajswest at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 24 11:09:03 EDT 2006

On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 05:00:47AM -0700, addr wrote:

> When importing from my bank Gnucash creates new accounts instead of using
> exiisting ones. A search of this forum produced someone else with the same
> problem back in 2005. His was caused by an OS upgrade which changed
> Gnucash's setting back to USD from AUD.
> In my case I am just starting and I don't see why it would think my import
> is different from what I have just set (CAD). Any ideas? For my purposes the
> program is not usable like this since I import from mu bank once a week.

are you seeing the "dropped spaces" bug? its very subtle -- at one
point the importer was dropping the spaces from account names and
other fields resulting in it trying to create new accounts. But it
took (me at least) a few minutes to figure out why because all the
information was there except the spaces.

what version?

have you previously mapped accounts in a qif import?