Register Question: Does it Matter Which One?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Sep 11 08:46:22 EDT 2006

"David T." <sunfish62 at yahoo.com> writes:

> It looks to me as if there's really only *one* transaction and its splits,
> which are displayed in each register as needed. This is borne out by the fact
> that the entire transaction appears in each register it touches.

This is exactly how split transactions work.  A "balanced Transaction"
is a collection of two or more Splits.  The Transaction supplies the
Description, Date, and a common (balancing) currency.  Each Split
provides an Account, a memo, an Account Amount, and a Transaction
Value.  (There's obiously more that I'm leaving out, but these are the
basics).

> If that is the case, then, is there any difference where I enter a
> transaction?

The only difference is the currency chosen for the "transaction
balacing currency" or "common currency".