Reinstalling as an opportunity

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Sep 13 12:27:59 EDT 2006

I would argue that FC's package management is just as good as the
other distributions you mention.  Perhaps the package library isn't
quite as good, but I trust the release engineering of RedHat/Fedora
much better than Debian or Ubuntu.  For example, GnuCash 2 was only
just pulled into Debian/testing <TODAY>..  In order to use the packages
before today, you had to run Debina/unstable.  I think that's just as
rife with issues as anything else.

The fact that Red Hat doesn't go and upgrade packages in older distributions
is considered a FEATURE, not a bug.

But honestly this is significantly off-topic.  I'll just point out that
someone who goes out of bounds of their distribution's package management
system is bound to screw themselves.  It doesn't matter which OS they
use.  Someone on Debian who goes and tries to upgrade a core package
by compiling it by hand is just as likely to destabilize their system
as someone who does it on Gentoo or Fedora.

But again, this is completely off-topic for this mailing list.  I suggest
replies go to /dev/null.

-derek