Three-way transaction, that I am not sure how to handle...

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Mon Sep 18 19:34:12 EDT 2006

I recently set myself up with a PayPal Debit card, which I am using to
pay for recurring business expenses.  Because I also have a PayPal
button on my web site, I am getting 1% cash back.

I generally don't carry a balance on my PayPal account, so the funds are
drawn from my (business) checking account as a 'backup funding source.

Now what happens is this: PayPal performs three transations:

1) Pays the charge.
2) Transfers the needed amount from my checking account to cover the
charge.
3) Awards the cash-back amount to the PayPal account.

Right now, I have two regular transactions, a transfer from my checking
account to the PayPal account and a transfer from the PayPal account to
the payee (I have not put in a transaction for the cash back yet).

Does it make any sense to bundle the whole transaction sequence as a
split transaction?  Or should I just have three transactions? If the
former, I am not totally sure what the split transaction will look like.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration