report writer needed: cash available

Tom Yates madlists at teaparty.net
Sun Sep 24 11:10:57 EDT 2006

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006, Derek Atkins wrote:

> There's an open RFE that asks for an option to display the Split Memo
> instead of the Transaction Description in this spot of a Split
> Transaction.

ah - provided i can sort by that field when it's displayed, i reckon
that's exactly what i'd need.

> So you just want to see the Split Memos with the itemized listings?
> Or do you want subtotals based on that too?

just seeing split memos would be enough, if i understand correctly,
provided that i can sort by them (ie, get all the liz browns grouped
together, then all the steve bloggses).  subtotals would be an elegant
refinement, but just the display/sort of split memos would save me a lot
of tedious work.

it's still subject to error, as memo's a freeform field - i don't see how
gnucash can save me from my own stupidity if i enter someone as "brown,
liz" one week, "brown, l" the next, and "liz brown" a third (although
autocompletion of the memo field helps me a *lot* in staying uniform from
week to week - thanks, guys).

>>> The transaction report can ALMOST do this -- there's an option to
>>> "sort" by a secondary key (e.g. the Description), and there appears to
>>> be an option to make subtotals Secondary Subtotals (subtotals based on
>>> the secondary key), but that option seems to be greyed out.  If it
>>> weren't greyed out, it might do what you want.
>>
>> i've had a cursory look and can't find it.  is that in 1.8.12, or is it
>> a gnucash-2 feature?
>
> I don't know.  I don't have 1.8 handy, I only looked at 2.0.  Did you
> look in the Sorting page of the Report Options of the Transaction
> Report?

ah, i was looking at transaction report under the register window, not
transaction report under the main window (d'oh!).  this looks *really,
really* promising, at least as a halfway house - thank you very much
indeed!

--

   Tom Yates
   Cambridge, UK.