Shares correct, Price 0 in Accounts tree

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Apr 5 07:34:06 EDT 2007

"John K. Taber" <jktaber at charter.net> writes:

> Well, you made me look. Locale and currency were ok. It turns out that
> TYPE in the Commodity editor was misidentified as NYSE, while the
> account type in the Editor (in the Account Tree) was Mutual Fund.

That shouldn't matter..  Except for getting Quotes nothing cares what
the type is.

> The poor thing was confused. So was I.

Only the price grabber would be confused, and even so I don't think
it really matters.

> Using the Commodity editor to change the TYPE to FUND fixed the problem.

Interesting..  I'm not sure why.

> Please let me make a human factors suggestion:
>
> Don't surface so many choices to the user. Use defaults, and permit the
> user to change them where it makes sense. Fraction is an example. For
> mutual funds, don't ask the user, just default to 1/1000. Yet, if the
> user has some weird kind of fund, let him click around a bit to find
> where to change Fraction to 1/1000000, for example.
>
> If it is a mutual fund, default should be FUND, with an override option
> in case it is a closed end fund.

Setting reasonable defaults is a good idea.  Can you file these in
bugzilla so we don't lose the ideas?