Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Apr 9 09:37:24 EDT 2007

That's not too surprising.  It requires the newer version
to decode the compressed datafile format.   So that's probably
why it failed when you downgraded.

Now, as for why it fails/hangs...  That's a good question.
Keep in mind that the win32 releases are development versions,
not stable versions, so you're using unstable, development
code at your own risk.  I recommend running it under GDB
to figure out where it's hanging and why..

-derek