Switching from Quicken to gnucash.

Charles Stroom charles at stremen.xs4all.nl
Thu Aug 9 09:43:58 EDT 2007

On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 07:50:23 -0500
"Eric Ladner" <eric.ladner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/9/07, Charles Stroom <charles at stremen.xs4all.nl> wrote:
> >
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I have been using several versions of Quicken in succession over the
> > last 12 years and from time to time I have tried to convert to
> > gnucash without much success so far.  The last version I tried was
> > gnucash 2.2. I do not want to lose my financial history, so all
> > quicken accounts have to be imported.
>
> History is great, but if you really want to do it right, you should
> probably start  from scratch in GnuCash.  Keep Quicken around with the
> old accounts until it's not relevant any more.  How long do you have
> to keep your history?  Is that a mandated thing or personal
> preference?  I used to keep my history for years and years until I
> figured out that it really doesn't do me any good to keep more than 24
> months of history.

Well, it's personal, but I find historical data useful for all kind of
other purposes as well, like where have I been on holidays and what did
I pay for this useless item then, etc.  Actually, with so many years I
start to find this data more and more useful and it is simple just to
keep it.  Less in my memory, more in Quicken so to say.  I have been
carrying over quicken from W95 to W2K to vmware and now wine and it
still works, but I am not sure when that will end.  Ususally I have to
perform some tricks in the wine configuration, before it works.

Cheers,

--
Charles Stroom
email: charles at no-spam.stremen.xs4all.nl (remove the "no-spam.")