QIF Import created spurious accounts

Ian Lewis ianmlewis at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 20:01:36 EST 2007

2007/12/13, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu>:

> "Ian Lewis" <ianmlewis at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > 2007/12/12, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu>:
> >
> >     "Ian Lewis" <ianmlewis at gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >     > Hmm.  Selecting an account that has different currency than the
> locale
> >     > currency makes gnucash do things I wouldn't expect. It creates a
> new
> >     account
> >     > with the locale currency instead of using the currency of the
> account
> >     that I
> >     > selected. Wouldn't using the currency for the account that I
> selected
> >     for
> >     > importing that file make more sense?
> >
> >     Not particularly; the QIF currency should matter.
> >
> > I agree but since the QIF currency might not match the locale currency,
> you
> > should be able to select the QIF currency during import. There seems to
> be a
> > part of the QIF import druid for this but it never seems to come up for
> me.
> > The QIF import druid just uses the locale currency.
>
> Right, and THAT is the bug that needs to be fixed.

Ok, This is a different bug than the one I submitted. This specifically
refers to the locale rather than just the flow of the QIF import druid. I
could imagine that the solution is perhaps the same for both bugs however.

> BTW: By locale currency were are talking about the currency that is set in
> the
> > preferences dialog (defaults to locale currency) right?
>
> Nope.  The locale currency is the currency you see in your
> computer locale.   See locale(1)

Hmm, Changing the default currency in the gnucash preferences seems to allow
me to import the QIF with that currency, i.e. It doesn't create the extra
accounts, which is what I would expect. Why would it use the system locale
currency when it could use the gnucash default currency?

--
Ian Lewis
ianlewis at member.fsf.org
http://www.ianlewis.org/