Anyone have some nice python code that will slice and dice a gnucash XML file, but leave it whole?

John Griessen john_g at cibolo.com
Mon Dec 17 15:30:29 EST 2007

Ron Morse wrote:
> I would offer that the Gnucash data file is really pretty compact

Mine's at 3.2MB uncompressed.

n Mon, 2007-12-17 at 12:28 -0500, Donald Allen wrote:
 > > This is why I'm working on the Python program I
 > > mentioned in an email to this thread last night. I'm already getting
 > > income statement, balance sheet, net worth, and unrealized gains (with
 > > dividends) reports from it,

Finding a safe, easy way to trim out old data,
maybe combined with using equity, assets, and liabilities in a formal closeout
would be helpful.

Deleting old data will change the gnucash account balances whether you do a formal close or not.
I am thinking of closing out up to 2006 end, checking that
2007 numbers are correct, backing up, then chopping out old data and adjusting balances back to correct
before continuing to add more data.  That should cut the file size down a lot.

John Griessen